The AIB (Association of Issuing Bodies) Board has officially accepted Powernext as a member. The AIB counts 19 European registries and has the mission of promoting a European standard for guarantees of origin (European Energy Certificate System - "EECS"). The EECS standard insures that guarantee certificates are issued, transferred and used according to reliable procedures. Moreover, the association puts at the disposal of its members a technical connection allowing all participants to import and export guarantees of origin electronically. In order to insure the greatest reliability of the European guarantee of origin scheme, the AIB membership relies on a thorough certification regarding registry process, systems and rules.
Powernext being an AIB member, its account holders can now import and export guarantees of origin electronically from and to other European countries.
“Powernext is proud to join the AIB. We are delighted to answer the renewable actors’ needs for international exchanges of guarantees of origin”, states Jean-François Conil-Lacoste, Powernext’s Chief Executive Officer.
The French Ministry of Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy appointed Powernext as the National Registry for electricity guarantees of origin in France, starting on 1st May 2013. 17 companies are account holders on the registry, and approximately 1 TWh of renewable energy has been certified.
For more information on the AIB: http://www.aib-net.org/
Powernext SA, incorporated in 2001, manages several complementary, transparent and anonymous energy markets:
- Powernext Gas Spot and Powernext Gas Futures launched on 26th November 2008 in order to hedge volume and price risks for natural gas in France. On 1st July 2011, GRTgaz and Powernext launched the first gas market coupling initiative in Europe between GRTgaz’s PEGs Nord and Sud. Powernext launched on 1st February 2013 a natural gas Futures market on the TTF hub in the Netherlands.
- Powernext and EEX launched PEGAS on 29 May 2013, a commercial cooperation where the 2 exchanges combine their gas markets to create a pan-European gas market.
- Powernext is the French registry for guarantees of origin since 1st May 2013.
- Powernext Energy Savings, a dedicated spot market for French White Certificates (Certificats d’Economies d’Energie) launched on 10th January 2012.
- Powernext owns a 50% equity stake in EPEX SPOT and a 20% in EEX Power Derivatives.